This exercise can be found on page 42 in “Toolbox 2.0 for Strategic Leadership of Innovative Networks”. You can download a PDF version of the toolbox here.
Exercise 1: Identify the people in your network and map the members’ relationships
- Interview them to find out what relationships they have with other members of the network. Are the relationships strong or weak?
- What other businesses and networks are in contact with outside the network, which may be used when needed to mobilize in order to handle a change?
- How does interaction occur in the network?
Exercise 2: Assess the relationships in the network
- What kind of architecture/topology emerges from the mapping exercise?
- Does the network consist of weak or strong relationships?
- What kind of connection does it have to other networks locally and regionally?
- How is it connected to other local networks?
- What kind of power relations keep the network together? “Power to act” and “power over others”?